SourceControl

Topics: Code
Developer
Jul 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Edited Jul 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I'm having trouble figuring out source control. 

I'm using TortoiseSVN and I do an SVN update of the Trunk directory and says I'm at revision 18526, but the "source code" tab in codeplex says the latest revision update was 18515 and I don't think anything is getting updated. I'm not seeing the changes that asads last made to the HUD or anything.   =(

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Create a new folder and checkout things again.  I have a nightmare with SVN everytime I try to do something.  Oh...by HUD... I mean .... "sword: ***" ...impressive huh?

Must be my bad I can't see the "HUD" ahem either.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Ah.  Got it.  Is there.  Have to pick up a sword first.  You'd think I would know that wouldn't you?!?

Developer
Jul 28, 2012 at 6:37 AM

No, I picked up the sword, but still didn't see the sword count. However, I noticed that when I did an SVN Update I now see a new folder under branches called FreezyMonsterBreakySword. I ran the .sln in THAT folder, and I was able to run the game with the "breakysword" logic, but still no sword count.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

FreezyMonsterBreakySword doesn't have the feature as I accidently merged before commiting.  Trunk should have.  I created a new folder and checkedout.  Worked for me.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Check dugeonvisualizer for this code. Can be seen by browsing the source code, so it must be there.

if (DungeonManager.Instance.CreatureManager.Player.Inventory.Any<Sword>())
            { 
               Console.Write( "Sword: ");
               for (int i = 0; i < DungeonManager.Instance.CreatureManager.Player.Inventory[0].UsesRemaining; i++)
               {
                   Console.Write("*");
               }
            }

The revision number is strange. Try the clean folder checkout thingy.Wait abit... https://rrrsroguelike.svn.codeplex.com/svn
this is where I'm checking out from.

Developer
Jul 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Yeah that code was not showing up, no matter how many times I updated. I had to make a new clean folder. But I don't like that I had to do that, because doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? If I had modified code that I wanted to keep, then I would have had to delete my changes =(

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM

You can use export to take your changes into a non-versioned folder on your computer then just copy and paste in to the clean folder(the one you just checked out) and commit.

Developer
Jul 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Ok, I will do that next time. Thanks!

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Just out of interest, I have your kind of problem like every time I try to do sth with SVN.  What I've set up now is one folder that updates the root folder and one folder where I work and commit from.  That way I can get the latest code and keep my work separate. 

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Getting weird messages and missing files even with the above.  Clean folder each time it seems.  doh!

Developer
Jul 29, 2012 at 4:12 AM

I've got a guy at work who uses TortoiseSVN exclusively. I'm sending him and email to see if he has any ideas. If I figure it out, I'll update this thread.

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Edited Sep 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Found that update wasn't grabbing new files. 

Fix: update tortoise SVN and update to revision and select fully recursive.  

Edit: Although this fix looked like it ought to work, didn't solve the problem in my case, still had to checkout to a new folder.

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Edited Apr 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM
asads2012 wrote:
Found that update wasn't grabbing new files.  Fix: update tortoise SVN and update to revision and select fully recursive.   Edit: Although this fix looked like it ought to work, didn't solve the problem in my case, still had to checkout to a new folder.
This may work now, other options are using the repo-browser with update item to revision or using the check modifications. [http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-checkout.html](tortoise doc)
Coordinator
Apr 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Something seems to be broken with the SVN when dragging and dropping files. This has caused my numerous problems and lost hours recently. I suggest deleting committing then adding committing. Rather than trying to move them in one step.